- “Mysterious ‘third species’ of caveman had sex with our Asian ancestors” by Simon Tomlinson (Mail online; 2011.10.02) – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2056149/Mysterious-species-caveman-sex-Asian-ancestors.html
- Denisovans spread DNA throughout Southeast Asia, study confirms
- Experts examined genes from 1,500 modern humans from across the world
- Southeast Asians had higher proportion of Denisovan-related gene variants
- “Teeth and jaw are from ‘earliest Europeans'” by Jonathan Amos (BBC News – Science; 2011.11.02) – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15540464
- The results fit with stone tool discoveries that had suggested modern people were in Europe more than 40,000 years ago. Now, scientists have the direct physical remains of Homo sapiens to prove it.
- “Human ancestor had ‘modern’ feet 3.7 million years ago, study says” (Deutche Welle; 2011.07.20) – http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,15251635,00.html
- ,em>New research suggests that our ancestors’ feet took on modern features nearly 2 million years earlier than previously thought – literally laying the groundwork for hominin migration beyond Africa.
- Grass-Eating Hominid Was The Primate Equivalent Of A Cow (Monkeys In The News blog; 2011.05.04) – http://www.monkeyday.org/2011/05/grass-eating-hominid-was-primate.html
- … It turns out that the early human known as Paranthropus boisei did not eat nuts but dined more heavily on grasses than any other human ancestor or human relative studied to date. Only an extinct species of grass-eating baboon ate more, they said. …
- “Study: Ancient ‘Nutcracker Man’ really ate grass” (AP; 2011.05.02) – http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jUszcyEe5ue2upNr4ZstNhH522IA?docId=9e507003306c488ab529a389f2c12053
- “Our Ancient Cousin “Nutcracker Man” Actually Ate Like a Cow: Lots of Grass” (Discover; 2011.05.03) – http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2011/05/03/our-ancient-cousin-nutcracker-man-actually-ate-like-a-cow-lots-of-grass/
- “Sometimes you feel like a nut” (HeraldNet; 2011.05.03) – http://heraldnet.com/article/20110503/BLOG08/705039929/-1/NEWS01
- “‘Nutcracker Man’ Ate Like a Cow (or Pig)” by Charles Q. Choi (LiveScience; 2011.05.02) – http://www.livescience.com/13979-nutcracker-man-early-human-diet.html
- “Neanderthals’ Last Stand Possibly Found” by Jennifer Viegas (Discovery News; 2011.05.12) – http://news.discovery.com/archaeology/neanderthal-last-stand-tools-ural-mountains-110512.html – A newly found prehistoric toolkit suggests Neanderthals may have lingered in Russia’s Ural Mountains as recently as 33,000 years ago.
- “Neanderthals Died Out Earlier Than Thought: Study” by Jennifer Viegas (Discovery News; 2011.05.09) – http://news.discovery.com/human/neanderthals-may-have-died-out-earlier-than-thought-110509.html
- “Mysterious New Human Coexisted with Neanderthals: Photos” by Jennifer Viegas (Discovery News; 2011.05.06) – http://news.discovery.com/archaeology/new-human-neanderthal-evolution-110505.html
- Neanderthals shared Europe with a mysterious member of our genus that may represent an entirely new species of human, suggests a paper accepted for publication in the Journal of Human Evolution.
The study describes the recently unearthed remains of a hominid from what is now Serbia. The remains — a fossilized jaw and teeth — date to at least 113,000 years ago. …
… “It would probably be best to describe Neanderthals and other Pleistocene humans as morphospecies,” Roksandic said. “This acknowledges differences but does not discuss their phylogenetic relationship. They are morphologically different, (so) would it prevent them from recognizing each other as potential mates? Hard to say.”
She added that according to some researchers it takes more than 2 million years to achieve complete genetic incompatibility between species. The various prehistoric human groups may therefore have enjoyed connections despite their anatomical and behavioral differences.
- More Worprress blog posting son Neanderthals – http://en.wordpress.com/tag/neanderthals/
Here at this blog: Human species interbreeding – https://eikonal.wordpress.com/2010/05/07/human-species-interbreading/