- Ghostery – http://www.ghostery.com/ – a browser extension that detects the well known web bugs (beacons, advertising cookies, other trackers) and allows suppression of these. | Extension for FireFox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/ | Extension for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/mlomiejdfkolichcflejclcbmpeaniij | Ghostery news – http://news.ghostery.com/
- HTTPS Everywhere – http://www.eff.org/https-everywhere – EFF’s extension for FireFox that enforces use of HTTPS for all sites that allow such traffic.
- Disconnect – a Google Chrome privacy extension – http://www.disconnectere.com/ – A browser extension that stops major third parties and search engines from tracking the webpages you go to and searches you do | https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/jeoacafpbcihiomhlakheieifhpjdfeo
- Facebook Disconnect – a Google Chrome extension – https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/ejpepffjfmamnambagiibghpglaidiec
- Google privacy center – http://www.google.com/intl/en/privacy/
- Gmail privacy tool – Summary of data stored with this account. – Summary of data stored with this account.
- AdBlock for Safari – http://safariadblock.com/
- AdBlock for Chrome – https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom
- TrackerBlock – https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/trackerblock/ – a FireFox extension
- Block companies from tracking you through cookies, and delete Flash cookies they may leave behind. This is the most effective way to choose DO NOT TRACK. Over 300,000 people have set their privacy preferences with privacychoice.org.
- Keep My Opt-Outs – https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hhnjdplhmcnkiecampfdgfjilccfpfoe – a Chrome extension
- Permanently opts your browser out of online ad personalization via cookies.
- IBA Opt-out – https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gbiekjoijknlhijdjbaadobpkdhmoebb – a Chrome extension
- Save your interest-based advertising opt-out preference permanently.
- Beef Taco (Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-Out) – https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/beef-taco-targeted-advertising/ – a FireFox extension
- Sets permanent opt-out cookies to stop behavioral advertising for 100+ different advertising networks, including Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, all members of the Network Advertising Initiative, and many other companies.
- BetterPrivacy – https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/
- Ever wondered why you are still tracked though you tried everything to prevent it?
BetterPrivacy is a safeguard which protects from usually not deletable LSO’s on Google, YouTube, Ebay…
- TOR (T??? Onion Router) – http://www.torproject.org/
- “Home Internet with Anonymity Built In” by Tom Simonite (Technology Review; 2010.12.22) – http://www.technologyreview.com/web/26981/
- Freedom Box:
- Freedom Box Project – http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox
- “Dreaming of a Snoop-Proof Net” by Tom Simonite (Technology Review; 2011.02.16) – http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/editors/26404/
- “A Decentralized Internet In The Freedom Box” (PSFK; 2011.02.18) – http://www.psfk.com/2011/02/a-decentralized-internet-in-the-freedom-box.html
- “Freedom Box: Freeing the Internet one Server at a time” by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols (ZDNet; 2011.02.16) – http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/freedom-box-freeing-the-internet-one-server-at-a-time/698
- “Some Google employees defect, then rebel” by Mark Milian (CNN; 2010.12.24) – http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/web/12/24/ex.google.employees/
- The internet and the ‘end of privacy’ – http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2010/end.of.privacy/
- What They Know – http://blogs.wsj.com/wtk/
- “Keep My Opt-Outs Google Extension Worries AdSense Publishers” by Barry Schwartz (Search Engine Roundtable; 2011.01.25) – http://www.seroundtable.com/google-keep-my-opt-outs-12850.html