- Write protection switch USB Flash Drives (CNET) – http://reviews.cnet.com/usb-flash-drives/?filter=502909_14791771_
- A very good overview of currently available drives is presented in the article “List of USB Flash Drives with Hardware Write Protection” (Fencepost Software & Consulting) http://www.fencepost.net/2010/03/usb-flash-drives-with-hardware-write-protection/
- “Looking for a USB Flash Drive with Read Only or Write Protect Switch” – http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/10/25/looking-for-a-usb-flash-drive-with-read-only-or-write-protect-switch/
- Source for USB stick with hardware write-protect? (mail list discussion) – http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2009/Oct/101
- I’ve got a couple of the PQI U339H (16GB) and they work great but be forewarned, the switch is small and easily breakable if you do not have the right size of tool to get in there and switch it.. This is especially bad if it breaks while switched to write protect.
- http://www.easydisk.com/ if you don’t need very big ones.
- Google “Forensic write blocker”. There’s tons of products in a variety of interfaces designed to do this (for the forensics industry).
- If you really don’t find any, then maybe this trick will help you as a last resort … – http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/10/25/looking-for-a-usb-flash-drive-with-read-only-or-write-protect-switch/
- PQI U339 Pro – http://www.pqi.com.tw/product2.asp?cate1=18&proid=13:
- NOTE: It is not clear if it is possible to buy this (or anything else) from their web site – it appears that they are only the large-volume sellers.
- NOTE: Even their sales inquiries web form is broken.
- NOTE: Bought one last week. It is slow as an old horse.
In absence of the real thing
There are varieties of software “solutions” available:
- USB Write blocker – http://blog.zoller.lu/2009/03/new-tool-usb-write-blocker.html
- using U3 partition/drive as the read-only storage for tools – http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/10/25/looking-for-a-usb-flash-drive-with-read-only-or-write-protect-switch/
- Disable Autorun.ini – Malwares Loveliest file – http://wikihead.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/disable-autorun-ini-%E2%80%93-malwares-loveliest-file/